Monday, May 26, 2008

A Bit of History

In light of Memorial Day, the instant I thought, "What children's books are my picks for learning about veterans and US involved wars in general?"...the instant I asked myself that question, the answer was...



DK Eyewitness Books

But that should come as no surprise...these things are chock full of fascination for readers of every single age and generation. The series also includes the Revolutionary War through the Civil War. They're invaluable. I check them out for my husband and myself, and the Music edition is a favorite of Xander's...helps that it has a huge violin on the cover. The kid now knows the difference between a frog and a fret.

Back to Memorial Day, I have a living grandfather who served in the Pacific, an uncle who served in Vietnam, a deceased grandfather who served for Canada during WWII (he was in DDay)...and cousins and uncles and inlaws who are veterans all the way back to as far as I know the Spanish American War. I of course have nothing but respect for these heroes, and am in awe of their courage every day.

Here is brief but powerful footage of the first group of Canadians landing on Juno Beach on D'Day. I'm not quite sure, but I'm thinking my grandfather was in this group (dear sister Barbara, oh queen of research on this particular family subject, could you advise?)...


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, he's in there somewhere. I'm not sure he's on that boat but he's in that group. The house at the very end is the one he and his men liberated, thus liberating the first city in France from Nazi occupation. I am proud of all of our vets in our family...I just feel a special attachment to his story. The best part is that I got to share it with my students while in Normandy in 2006. I just wish he could have been there.

Natalie said...

i love those eyewitness books! i always learn a bajillion things i never knew before. and i am so about learning things by accident! don't make me study...just give me an interesting book to read and if it has pictures that's even better!