Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Picture Book Review Tuesday

(****even though some weeks it might be Thursday, or Saturday****)

Llama Llama Mad at Mama - Anna Dewdney

First off, let me state that I ADORE Anna Dewdney's books. Llama Llama Red Pajama helped Xander understand the concept of going to bed by himself. Her prose is lilting, and sing-song without being saccarine. Grumpy Gloria is another favorite, but I am a sucker for anything bulldog related.
Llama Llama Mad at Mama takes a mundane, tiresome weekly (sometimes daily) task of going to the supermarket and illustrates the boredom, the assault on the senses, the frustration of both child an parent. Llama Llama and his Mama are apparently at a Supercenter (some say a Wal-Mart, but you all know me, let's go ahead and call it SuperTarget or Costco) and are purchasing groceries plus shirts, socks, etc etc. The meltdown insues, and a lesson is taught about accountability for one's actions, as well as the fact that Mama might dispise going to the store, too, but the simple fact that she's with her Llama Llama makes it special. I often feel this way being a working mom, that I'll take my Xander time any way I can get it, even if it involves clearance racks at Target.
The illustrations are perfect, Llama Llama's red little nose and huffy ears paint a picture of childhood impatience that kids and parents will relate to. I literally laughed out loud when I read this book, which is no easy feat for a cynical library lady like myself.
Check it out for yourself and your little Llama (that was corny!), I suggest bringing it to the store with you, to keep the kid entertained for about 2.1 minutes.

No comments: