Thursday, May 15, 2008

A continuation of previous themes.

Belle Prater's Boy is just about the epitome of perfect novels for the 10-14 age range. Although those at one end of that spectrum would love to be included in that group, those at the other would scowl at it. But that fact of childhood/early teens aside, Belle Prater's Boy is PERFECT. By the author I can't seem to stop talking about...Ruth White, the Fannie Flagg of the younger generations, the Robert Harling without the Sally Field and Julia Roberts reminders...this woman can write. Her words drip like butter and honey off a biscuit...her prose draws you in and smacks you upside the head. And then you cry, but in a good way. Love. Her....and can't wait to (hopefully!!) meet her, Mo Willems, Lowell Cunningham, and Merillee Liddiard at the...


The Children's Festival of Reading!

Yes, I'm excited. Yes, I'm nervous my agoraphobia will kick in. But no, I'm not freaking out. Just yet.

And a little side note, of course Francesca Lia Block's Guarding the Moon is blowing my mind right now. That's two parts of my life she's managed to put in a little purple box and wrap up with a ribbon that's so very me. This work, an autobiographical account of very early motherhood, is making all those floaty memories come back of Xander's very first minutes/hours/days/weeks/months here on Earth.

2 comments:

Momo Fali said...

No, no, no! No agoraphobia allowed!

Anonymous said...

Those pictures of little Xander are adorable. They are getting so big! Miss you! Love, your sis