Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Elfs on Ice

So the obsession continues, and I've actually started writing a narrative. This is something I haven't done in close to a decade, and I'm thoroughly enjoying myself. The research has been really fun, but I've found in my haste to get the plot onto paper, I'm going to have to go back and revise place names, detailed character names, and traditions. Seems like I've been given one of the most unknown cultures known to me to write about, but really...I can't help what I dreamed about. I was given this story, it's aching to be told, so tell it I must! Here's something interesting about Iceland, from, icetourist.is :

Supernatural Iceland
Elfs, trolls and ghosts
Surveys show that despite their obsession with modern technology, as many as 80% of Icelanders believe in the existence of elfs. Even today, roads have been rerouted and building plans redesigned or abandoned to avoid disturbing rocks where elfs are said to live. All around the country, strange lava formations were once explained in folktales as trolls who were turned to stone when caught outdoors in daylight. But only children in Iceland believe in trolls today, and the once widespread belief in ghosts is in decline, some say because electricity has taken the fright out of the long winter nights.

Fantastic.

Gary is one of the places that is famously dark as well, Barrow...phone service is limited, as it's well, about the same latitude as Greenland. There's a "sea ice webcam" ... and really? There are no words. Not sure if there are elfs there, their little stockinged feet would get frostbitten.

No comments: