Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I might stay in that state for a while; that teacher induced collective state of peace that adults can find maybe in yoga class or church, or I might float out of the classroom and serenely land on a pile of down pillows, and read. I’d start with my favorites from early youth - The Poky Little Puppy, Whose Mouse are You, A Baby Sister for Frances…I’d put them in a pile and pull out a Little Princess, The Secret Garden, Black Beauty, Peter Pan, A Wrinkle in Time, Deenie, Tiger Eyes, Starring Sally J. Freeman as Herself…

When I cook with garlic and onion my hands smell like ramps the next day. Ramps are the skinny wild onions that grow practically through the walls down south; pungent and edible (though usually only eaten by mountain traditionalists). I understand though it’s gaining popularity in the oftentimes ridiculous foodie circles that always put weird things in sweet potatoes. When I was a tiny there was a kudzu festival on the big lawn near the art museum. My family and I ate kudzu quiche, kudzu blueberry cobbler and stewed kudzu. Kudzu is a vine that grows in severity down south, destroying brick and mortar in its wake - you wouldn’t think to consume it. But it is consumable, and renewable, and annoying, plus disgusting.

No comments: