Sunday, March 9, 2008

Oh, they were sore ashamed.

Well that was stupid.

I got SO excited, and then went ahead and left it! Sad little monkey-blog and now I'm like a feisty maid mother in a Dickensian (not Dickens! Just Dickensian) novel...back to hug my baby I had out of wedlock, smelling of bread and the guvnah's shaving cream.

We are poor right now. Poor as poor can be. Things will be fine once the checks start to roll in a bit, but I'm afraid they won't roll two much, just once or twice. Like a kid learning to somersault.



*Book Alert!* This is the part where I talk about the books I've read recently.

- Been a bit obsessed with Tracy Chevalier. This woman is the most concise writer I have read in a long time. Her work hits you over the head with its velveteen little hammer and forces you to smell the B.O. of those historic characters. Because you know they smelled of it! And maybe some lemon verbena.
-As far as children's literature I am wholly immersed in my little project at the library. I have started a book to movie discussion group for 10-13 year olds, and I actually have one kid signed up! I really hope that it grows as an organic, exciting discussion group where kids can express their opinions outside of academia. The kind of exciting talk about literature and film that will --- hang on now. This sounds like my soundbite in the press release. Let me just link you on up to the beautiful library website, housing the full description. It'll be L Frank Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz versus the 1939 film.
http://knoxcounty.org/library/ (We're #1 !)
**Will they be fascinated to hear that Buddy Epsen was the original Tin Man?
**Will they scratch their heads and ask who the "H" Buddy Epsen is?
**Even after I tell them Jed on the Beverly Hillbillies?

Only March 18th will decide.

Currently reading now:

Sue Monk Kidd - The Mermaid Chair

OK, scouts honor, I promise to be better about this little blog. For the children's sake. Even tho the children probably won't read this. It has nothing to do with Hannah Montana and VERY little to do with Junie B. Jones, Judy Moody, and only SOMETIMES the Magic Tree House.

No comments: