Monday, March 2, 2009

I need to remember to celebrate the crap, too. The writing that fizzles. The half-inspired pieces of the puzzle that simply do not work. That’s ok. Get them the hell out of there so that the meat that DOES work can find its way out. It’s pointless to be sad and embarrassed about something that’s not tactile.
And remember to read. Read the stuff that works for you and what doesn’t work for you. Don’t worry a tick about being published. Will the story be published? Yes, maybe not in the way I think it will. It just needs to get out there.
Again, today they’re waiting in the shadows. Taking their time in the wings. Shuffling from one foot to the other. It’s ok. I’m waiting, I’m patient. I’m sitting in the front row and I’ve got my program folded, I haven’t grown weary of waiting yet. They can take their time. I’ve waited a long time for them, but they’ve waited even longer for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post reminded me how I used to visualize things before I wrote them, and made me wonder why I ever stopped. No, I never stopped entirely but have certainly visualized stories less . . . they've become more cerebral. Thanks for reminding me they don't have to be.

Chrissy Johnson said...

My problem is pushing things forward. I have zero patience. Sometimes when something lovely comes my way I poke at it until it goes away. Call it the "Lennie" writer's complex. It spreads over to points in my life as well. I'm Lennie smothering the rabbit.